First Solar ($FSLR) is up 38% YTD, vs. 8% for the S&P 500 with more gains likely if the stock can clear one key hurdle (see chart below).
Clean energy stocks are on a tear:
- Invesco WilderHill Clean Energy ETF ($PBW): +58% YTD.
- iShares Global Clean Energy ETF ($ICLN): +40% YTD.
What they do:
They are a leading global provider of photovoltaic (PV) solar panels. They operate in three business segments:
- PV Solar Modules-Panels you see on houses and buildings.
- Utility-Scale Power Plants-They develop and construct power-grid systems for utility companies. They want to curb reliance on fossil fuels, reduce the risk of fuel-price volatility, and save costs.
- O&M Services-They provide system owners with ongoing operations and maintenance programs through its global operations center and O&M associates.
For more details, start on page 3 of their annual report.
What's its chart telling us?
- Price is testing the $80-$100 supply (resistance) zone. A move above $100 and $160 is possible, a 60% gain from $100.
|# of Employees||6,400 (as of 2020)|
|Market Cap.||$8.3 billion|
|TTM Revenue||$3.1 billion|
|IPO Date||November 17, 2006|
|KEY FINANCIALS||TTM, $ in millions|
|Net Income Margin||3.2%|
|Free Cash Flow||$(51)|
|Free Cash Flow Margin||(1.6)%|
|Return on Assets||3.0%|
|Return on Invested Capital (ROIC)||3.7%|
|Return on Equity||1.9%|
Get our best content in your inbox every Friday.